So last week, Mr R&R and I decided that we’ve both put on way too much weight and agreed to make a change.
The weight has been gained quite steadily over the course of around two and a half years and I am hoping to get back to my weight as of three years ago. So I’m aiming to lose 49lbs and Mr R&R is hoping for a 55lb loss.
We’re not being silly about it and have aimed to reach our goal weights in 12 months. This is how it’s going down…
We identified our problem areas as:
- Too many takeaways and eating out in restaurants
- Too many treats, including snacking and desserts
- No set mealtimes and eating one meal a day, late at night, accompanied by lots of naughty snacks
- Lack of exercise and leaving the house in general
- Not drinking enough water
- Not having a regular sleep pattern (bed at 2am, waking at 2pm!)
Our plan of action is:
- To take regular exercise, including walks, both with and without our dogs, and cycling, at least three times per week
- To substitute unhealthy snacks and desserts for fruit, and to only buy chocolate and sweeties when we’re desperate, and only the miniature treatsize versions!
- To set ourselves achievable targets
- To eliminate nap-time (more my issue than his!) and to establish sleeping patterns
- A maximum of 1 takeaway or eating out in a restaurant per week
- To drink at least 2 litres of water every day
- To have weekly weigh-ins on Saturdays at 8am
- No eating after evening meal, so after around 8pm
It’s been a week since we started and as of this morning, I have lost 2lbs and Mr R&R has lost a whopping 6lbs!!
Our target for the first month was to lose 5lbs, so he’s already achieved that and is doing brilliantly, and I am certainly on my way!
As for exercise, we’ve only been walking. Granted, we’re walking around 4 miles at a time and we’re walking quite briskly, every day. We’ve also started keeping track of what we eat and I’m allowing myself 1250 calories per day and Mr R&R has an allowance of 1590.
We’re using Apps on our HTC phones to help us and have found the MyFitnessPal and Endomondo very helpful
I’ll keep you posted on how we get on!
In the meantime, I might not be posting very many baking stories – too much temptation!